Technorati search

Monday, April 03, 2006

Birthday cake fun!

My son just turned five and requested that I made him a spiderman cake. I looked the net over to find the perfect one and I succeeded! He was so excited and in total shock when I brought it out. It took about 3 hours to decorate it from start to finish and by the time it hit the table he was ripping into it. I followed this tutorial to make him: http://frostingfun.blogspot.com/

This is the cake that I used and just love it. I always have to add chocolate chips to it because that is the way little man likes it.

WONDER CHOCOLATE CAKE

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8 pan or 8-inch round pan with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, mix: 1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup sugar
3 Tbs. cocoa
1/2 tsp. salt
Add:
1 Tbs. vinegar
6 Tbs. oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup cold water
Stir well. Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean

This is the icing recipe that I used. I used half butter and half crisco:

Best White Icing Ever

recipe from: cakecentral.com
Serves/Yields: 4 to 5 cups. (20 servings)

This icing recipe is #1! It's quick and easy to make, bright white for cake decorating, and you can easily change it's consistency! This is the most important icing recipe you'll ever have. It's so basic, it makes the hassle of cake decorating so much easier! If you wish, use half shortening and half unsalted butter.


4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 cup shortening
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon clear imitation vanilla extract
Directions
In a large bowl, combine sugar, shortening, water and vanilla. Beat on low speed to combine, then beat on medium speed for a full five minutes. It won't look like Icing at first, but keep the mixer going for a full five minutes, and then you're done!

Note: If you're not using this for decorating, but just for icing the cake, thin the icing by adding 3 tbs. of corn syrup, or water to the icing.

-I had to add about 2T more water b/c this was so very thick and hard to work with.



1 Comments:

At 4:13 AM, Blogger B O B said...

cool!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home